Patient and Family Experience
The Patient and Family Experience Office at the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center in Los Angeles provides services and amenities for our patients and their families. For more information about our services, please call us at (323) 442-9516.
Our inpatient services at the USC Norris Cancer Hospital include the following:
- Entertainment Library – use of iPads, Kindles and portable DVD players at no charge for patients, their families and guests.
- Welcome Rounds – each patient admitted to a non-ICU unit receives a welcome round from our team. We review services available to them during their stay and offer assistance to them throughout their stay.
- Patient and Family Resource Centers – rooms near the lobbies that provide quiet space and a computer and printer available for use
- Concierge Services
- Patient Advocacy – Assistance with any patient and family concerns.
- Pet Therapy – Offered at both Keck Hospital of USC and USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center in Los Angeles. We work closely with Love on 4 Paws—an organization that specializes in and provides dogs for pet therapy or animal assisted therapy. With physician clearance, dogs of varied breeds, shapes and sizes visit with patients and your guests. Among many other benefits, pet therapy is a program which research has shown to counteract patient isolation and facilitate socialization; promote motor and cognitive skills; and encourage self-confidence. And, as self-esteem increases, feelings of sadness, pain and vulnerability decrease. It is truly amazing to observe the way therapy animals bring smiles and happiness to any environment, not just for the patients, but for staff as well—hard work becomes more enjoyable, and challenges become less daunting. This program is provided at the two hospitals every Wednesday from 2 – 3:30 p.m. and the first and third Sunday of the month from 10 – 11:30 a.m.
- Salon Services – Operated by two experienced cosmetologists and fully funded by a grateful patient, salon services are offered to patients who have been with us for a while and may need basic grooming needs, such as hair trim, wash and limited manicure/pedicure. This service allows us to provide patients with a service not specifically related to health care, but an escape for a short period of time to feel refreshed and revitalized. This program is offered every Tuesday from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Skylight: Patient Interactive System – On-screen entertainment in patient rooms at the two hospitals includes free movies, games, internet access and health education or relaxation videos. You may also make requests, such as housekeeping, room temperature control, snacks or a visit from a case manager, chaplain or social worker.
- Volunteer Services
We are here to provide you or your loved one with the highest quality comprehensive care available — both on an inpatient or outpatient basis.
Jennifer Diamond Cancer Resource Library
This is a state-of-the-art patient education resource with materials devoted to patients, their families and community members. The center also provides outreach activities and conducts informational programs on cancer prevention and treatment. It is located in the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center Harlyne J. Norris Cancer Research Tower on the lower level, suite 501, with entrances through the Hinderstein Garden and the Norris elevator lobby. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Loved ones can send postal mail directly to your room with your name and room number on the envelope.
Pharmacies are available for patients of the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center.
USC Norris Comprehensive Center
1441 Eastlake Ave., First Floor
8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. (Monday through Friday)
USC Medical Plaza Pharmacy
Healthcare Center 1
1510 San Pablo St, First Floor
8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. (Monday through Friday)
9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Saturday)
For online pharmacy services, visit pharmacies.usc.edu
The USC Norris Cancer Hospital chaplain has staff for various faiths. The chaplain is happy to visit with you and can also be paged through the hospital operator at (323) 442-8488. Your own clergy is also welcome to visit with you at any time.